John J. Walsh Insurance Agency, Inc. was originally incorporated in 1929 as the Paul N. Chaput Insurance Agency. In the 1940's, it was acquired by Norman R. Auger and it grew quickly under his ownership. The name was changed to the Auger Insurance Agency in the 1950's and we moved to our present location at the Corner of Mill & Margin Streets in 1960.
Norman Auger sold the Agency to the Travelers Insurance Company in 1971 and it was owned and managed by them until December of 1988.
On December 16, 1988, John J. Walsh Insurance Agency purchased the Auger Insurance Agency and the Stathopoulos Insurance Agency in Gloucester, Massachusetts from the Travelers Insurance Company. The name of both Agencies were changed to the John J. Walsh Insurance Agency, Inc. in January of 1989.
In January of 1992, John J. Walsh Insurance Agency acquired an agency in Rockport, MA which was formerly known as the Elliot Grimes Insurance Agency. In July of 1993 our Gloucester office was merged into our new Rockport office. We have one central location servicing Cape Ann area from 21 Broadway in Rockport.
In October of 2009, John J. Walsh Insurance Agency purchased the DJ Donovan Agency and in April of 2004 the George W. Marquis Agency. Both agencies were located in Salem and both were merged into our Salem office.